mesos-user mailing list archives

From CCAAT <cc...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject Re: Building portable binaries
Date Sun, 20 Sep 2015 17:42:45 GMT
On 09/19/2015 07:06 PM, F21 wrote:
> Hey James,
>
> Thanks for sharing the ebuild! I spun up gentoo as a docker container
> and copied the ebuild to
> /usr/local/portage/clustering/mesos/mesos-0.22.0.ebuild.

Hello F21,

First, apologies for not setting up a more appropriate repo. Github
is on my 'todo' list. I code command line and work mostly on
isolated systems, as an old school coder.

I'm no VM nor container concierge  so for those types of setups, you are
going to have to find expertise, documents and such elsewhere. You would
be best advise to join the gentoo-user community to access a very deep
and wide bench of experts, all centric to gentoo. There are numerous
forums and irc channels too.

Traditionally, Gentoo puts the portage tree into /usr/portage. The
ebuilds tarballs are downloaded to /usr/portage/distfiles for raw
storage by the ebuild. Some are now using /var/portage/.

I use /usr/local/portage to hack new ebuilds before allowing others
to test. With gentoo you can put things where you like, but some
adjustments need to be made. When I roll all of this out it will be
much easier to just point to an overlay and install from there. But,
I have yet to put an overlay up. Here is one for zookeeper::

[U] sys-cluster/zookeeper
      Available versions:  (~)3.4.6^mb[3] (~)3.4.6[2] (~)3.4.6^mb[5]
(~)3.4.6-r1^mb[1] {ELIBC="FreeBSD" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"}
      Installed versions:  3.4.6^mb[2](02:35:35 PM
09/19/2015)(ELIBC="-FreeBSD" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7")
      Homepage:            http://zookeeper.apache.org/
service for distributed applications.

* sys-cluster/apache-zookeeper [4]
      Available versions:  ~3.3.6^mb {ELIBC="FreeBSD"}
      Homepage:            http://hadoop.apache.org/
service for distributed applications.

[1] "jackslap" /usr/local/portage
[2] "ultrabug" /var/lib/layman/ultrabug
[3] "fw-overlay" layman/fw-overlay
[4] "gentoo-zh" layman/gentoo-zh
[5] "ultrabug" layman/ultrabug

You can see others are hacking on creating a 100% build from source
solution for clustering. 'jackslap' is my local repo, which I just email
to you.    I also subscribe to ultrabug's overlay repo, using the layman
tools to installation. Overlays have their own tree locations that can
vary from actual gentoo maintained servers, to github, to private
machines for developers, hackers and any other folks that code.
Gentoo has many derivative distros, some roll binaries, others are on a
rolling release, just like gentoo. Since the 'systemd wars', the fact
that gentoo has a robust "openrc" alternative to systemd means that
part of our developer community is growing very fast with new talent
and old coders alike. As more folks roll out clusters, kernel tuning,
a lost art for regular users at all major distros, is going to become
quintessentially important to get the best performance out of your
cluster/cloud. The way gentoo is set up, you can use an endless variety
of boot/kernel semantics to fit your needs. We have very robust tools
for kernel performance studies available with gentoo.

I work strictly on real hardware. I'm a 'bare metal' kind of EE hack.
That said, if you are serious about gentoo, my recommendation' would
be to use older hardware until you get everything working and figured
out what you want to do. Then VM, Container, Cloud or get new/cheap
cluster gear like aarch64 (arm64). YMMV depending on your goals.

> However, when I run ebuild mesos-0.22.0.ebuild manifest, it throws an
> error about the metadata:
>
> Appending /usr/local/portage to PORTDIR_OVERLAY...
> Error(s) in metadata for 'clustering/mesos-0.22.0':
>    DEPEND: Invalid atom (.keep), token 12
>    RDEPEND: Invalid atom (.keep), token 7

Make sure you do not have simple errors do to command line mistakes
in your copy process. Those errors are explained  more fully in the
gentoo Devmanual. Depends are codes that are needed to compile your
mesos. RDEPENDS are runtime dependencies. Some codes are both.

> Any ideas why this might be happening?

Gentoo is not for the faint of heart. It is for those robust users
or for folks that really want to learn deeply how things work. The
great news about gentoo, although many will argue negatively, is that
in clusters, you can get 2-10% performance increase by minimizing codes,
particularly stripped and optimized kernels. Over hundreds of CPUs
that's going to be a huge performance difference. Gentoo had a very rich
echo system of distributed processing years ago. Most of those folks
took there expertise to corporations for exploit and let gentoo's
position in clustering languish. What gentoo needs now more than ever
are java coders, as the team is excellent, but under staffed, atm.

Now there is a very robust team of arm64 devs, a veritable who's who,
working bring gentoo to arm64. Others like myself are more focused on
the bare metal approach that works well for clusters, distributed
embedded systems, rock  solid security and superior performance per watt
of power consumed.

You are most welcome to join us. Have you ever installed gentoo, on a
actual system?  Right now, the pedantic approach dominants at Gentoo
via the arduous 'gentoo handbook'. I'd strongly suggest you endure
that pain, to become functionally literate with Gentoo. Several folks
are working on rapid install semantics for Gentoo on a myriad for
hardware architectures.

wwr,
James