mesos-user mailing list archives

From "Gaston, Dan" <Dan.Gas...@nshealth.ca>
Subject RE: "Cluster of Workstations" type design for a Mesos cluster
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 15:14:31 GMT
Not too worried. I could of course have only the two other machines running as both Master
and Slave for instance, but if I could incorporate the desktop into the cluster as well I
think that would be preferable so that the other two can run as complete slaves and I can
offload all of my computation jobs to them through Mesos. Since this won't be backing any
web applications, websites, or anything like that, I don't expect anything to be getting hammered.
I was more thinking if there was anything particular about the Mesos Master process that might
conflict when it is being run on essentially a non-dedicated server and not isolated (as is
the case when setting up a local dev mesos cluster with Vagrant or the like). Of course I
could always stick Mesos Master inside a VM, Vagrant, or Docker container on the workstation.

Just trying to get a handle on any potential pitfalls. All of the great examples out there
for building a cluster are either cloud-based or a VM'd cluster on a single local machine
and not much info when it comes to building a physical cluster.

From: Aaron Carey [mailto:acarey@ilm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:05 PM
To: user@mesos.apache.org
Subject: RE: "Cluster of Workstations" type design for a Mesos cluster

There's nothing stopping you running the mesos master and slave process on the same machine,
so you could run the master process on your non-desktop machine if you're worried.

We have the master and slave processes run as docker containers and they can both end up on
the same machine without any problems.