mesos-user mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <d...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts and opinions in physically building a cluster
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:46:15 GMT
That doesn't sound too bad (it's a fairly typical setup e.g. on an Amazon VPC).
You probably want to avoid NAT or similar things between master and
slaves to avoid
a lot of LIBPROCESS_IP tricks so same switch sounds good.

Personally I quite like the master/slave distinction.

I wouldn't want a runaway set of  tasks to bog down the masters and
operationally we'd alert
if we're starting to lose masters whereas the slaves are 'cattle' and
we can just spin up more as
they die if need be (it's a little more tricky to scale out masters
and zookeepers so they get treated
as though they were a bit less expendable).

I co-locate the zookeeper ensemble on the masters on smaller clusters
to save VM count,
but that's more personal taste than anything.

On 25 June 2015 at 17:12, Daniel Gaston <Daniel.Gaston@dal.ca> wrote:
> So this may be another relatively noob question, but when designing a mesos cluster,
is it basically as simple as the nodes connected by a switch? Since any of the nodes can be
"master nodes" or acting as both master and slave, I am guessing there is no need for another
head node as you would have with a traditional cluster design. But would each of the nodes
then have to be connected to the external/institutional network?

> My rough idea was for this small cluster to not be connected to the main institutional
network but for my workstation to be connected to both the cluster's network as well as to
the institutional network