mesos-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Carey <aca...@ilm.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Renaming Mesos Slave
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 07:32:10 GMT
+1 to Itamar.

I'd be interested to hear any case studies of how this has been handled in other OS projects
with master/slave namings if anyone can give examples?

________________________________
From: Itamar Ostricher [itamar@yowza3d.com]
Sent: 04 June 2015 05:38
To: user@mesos.apache.org
Cc: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Renaming Mesos Slave

Strong -1 for changing the name (either master or slave).

>From a community stand point, if dev resources are diverted to renaming efforts, then
the community and the user base both lose meaningful functionality that isn't being worked
on.

>From a using organization stand point, as well as framework developer perspective, I follow
mesos releases pretty closely, and I'm confident that the version that deprecates backward
compatibility with the current names will be a version I will not be able to adopt for months,
if at all...

So please don't do that, or if you do, consider leaving in a configuration option to keep
the current names for sane upgrades.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015, 06:42 Benjamin Staffin <ben@folsomlabs.com<mailto:ben@folsomlabs.com>>
wrote:
1. Mesos Worker (or just Mesos node)
2. Mesos Worker
3. No, but if we do then Leader or Director or Controller
4. Deprecation cycle, documentation, etc. Provide aliases for a release or two.

Thanks for raising this topic; it's been on my mind for a while.

As for why I think this matters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM, Adam Bordelon <adam@mesosphere.io<mailto:adam@mesosphere.io>>
wrote:
There has been much discussion about finding a less offensive name than "Slave", and many
of these thoughts have been captured in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1478

I would like to open up the discussion on this topic for one week, and if we cannot arrive
at a lazy consensus, I will draft a proposal from the discussion and call for a VOTE.
Here are the questions I would like us to answer:
1. What should we call the "Mesos Slave" node/host/machine?
2. What should we call the "mesos-slave" process (could be the same)?
3. Do we need to rename Mesos Master too?

Another topic worth discussing is the deprecation process, but we don't necessarily need to
decide on that at the same time as deciding the new name(s).
4. How will we phase in the new name and phase out the old name?

Please voice your thoughts and opinions below.

Thanks!
-Adam-

P.S. My personal thoughts:
1. Mesos Worker [Node]