mesos-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Gallego <agall...@rbonut.com>
Subject Re: Error when creating a new HA cluster on EC2
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:38:37 GMT
James,

It is incredibly challenging to build everything from scratch.

To build mesos from 100% sources as you propose you'll need to find **all**
transitive dependencies first. Each in turn will have transitive deps.

In fact, if you look at the build system the reason leveldb.patch exist is
to attempt and reduce that complexity.

```
+# Removed tests for TCMALLOC and SNAPPY to prevent additional dependencies.
```

Most linux packages exist **exactly** for that reason. It is not easy to
build native dependencies and have it work for your operating system.
That's what apt-* is for ubuntu for exapmle.

Now building **just mesos** from sources is quite trivial.

Here is my entire ansible build for my local dev box

```

- name: configure mesos
  shell: "LIBS=-lglog LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
    {{bolt_cache_dir}}/{{mesos_dir}}/configure
    --with-glog=/usr/local
    --disable-python
    --disable-java"

  args:
    creates: '{{bolt_cache_dir}}/{{mesos_dir}}/build/Makefile'
    chdir: '{{bolt_cache_dir}}/{{mesos_dir}}/build'

- name: Make mesos
  sudo: True
  shell:
    "ldconfig && make -j{{ansible_processor_vcpus}}"
  args:
    chdir: '{{bolt_cache_dir}}/{{mesos_dir}}/build'
    creates: '{{bolt_cache_dir}}/{{mesos_dir}}/build/src/libmesos.la'

```

If you ever participated in large scale native builds, you might know that
compiler flags and linker flags have a huge effect on whether the software
will work at runtime (i.e: symbols stripped away, extern functions not
being exported for weird reasons, ABI incompatibility, etc).

To be honest, building everything from source sounds impractical unless you
have a team of developers optimizing it for your platform. Your
dependencies would be an explosion of build system system deps - CMAKE,
autoconf, Scons, at the top of my head for transitive deps.

As I said, that is exactly my ansible task for building mesos locally. Hope
it helps.

-ag

Sincerely,
Alexander Gallego