mesos-user mailing list archives

From Bill Farner <wfar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MongoDB on mesos
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2014 04:47:56 GMT
Another alternative is for the scheduler to reliably place your instances
on the same hosts every time.  This comes with its own pitfalls, but isn't
rolling the dice as much as hoping a whole replica set is not moved.
 Aurora, for example, implements this with a 'dedicated' scheduling
constraint specified in the job description.

-=Bill

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Ankur Chauhan <ankur@malloc64.com> wrote:

> Hi Vinod,
>
> Thanks for your reply, You raise very good points and I realize that mesos
> is ephemeral. So far I am making the assumption that mesos (based on
> constraints set) would be responsible of keeping enough replicas alive that
> data loss does not happen and when a task is killed from a replicaset, it
> has enough (or atleast one) replica to recover from. The only way to get
> around this problem completely is to have the MESOS-1554 resolved or use
> some form of underlying volume that is available to all tasks/slaves where
> replacement nodes can be started.
>

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Vinod Kone <vinodkone@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of any ports of MongoDB on Mesos, but the one gotcha to
>> keep in mind when porting database frameworks is that the task/executor
>> sandbox in Mesos is ephemeral. IOW, when an executor exits the sandbox gets
>> cleaned up (not immediately but after certain time based on the garbage
>> collection algorithm). So if a MongoDB executor writes its state/db in the
>> sandbox then that data is irrecoverable if the task/executor terminates
>> (e.g., LOST).  Having said that, follow
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1554 for future work in this
>> area.
>>

>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Ankur Chauhan <ankur@malloc64.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I apologise for the repost but wanted to get some responses. I am evaluating
mesos and wanted to know if anyone has successfully used
>>> mesos (with or without docker) as a means of managing a mongodb deployment. Currently,
I have 8 shards where each shard is a 3x replicated replicaset and contains > 500GB of
data.

>>> I was wondering if someone has tried to deploy and maintain a mongodb
>>> deployment using mesos (or maybe tell me why this is not advisable), any gotchas
and preferred methodology for deployment.