mesos-user mailing list archives

From Dave Lester <daveles...@gmail.com>
Subject MesosCon program committee notes May 8th and 1st
Date Fri, 09 May 2014 17:10:15 GMT
Below are notes from the last two weeks of MesosCon program committee
meetings. Please reach out to me if you have any questions, or if you're
interested in potential #MesosCon sponsorship.

Dave

5/8/2014

*Attendance*
Dave Lester, Vinod Kone, Matt Trifiro, Timothy St Clair, Benjamin Hindman,
Chris Aniszczyk, Isabel Jimenez

*Attendee/registration update*
32 registered attendees (as of Friday, May 8th). 21 of those are LinuxCon
attendees who are also attending MesosCon.

Some discussion and questions related to turnout, and whether LinuxCon
attendees would participate in all of MesosCon or come and go for
particular sessions.

*Sponsorship update*
Getting closer to sponsorship goals, but still looking for additional
sponsors to enhance the event. One company is interested in sponsoring a
hackathon; we need to nail down details of how that fits into program.

Discussion about the possibility of having existing LinuxCon sponsors buy
sponsorship packages to also help sponsor MesosCon -- Dave will follow-up
with Linux Foundation regarding this.

PC is also in contact with a potential sponsor interested in sponsoring an
evening reception.

Haven’t heard back from a potential Media sponsor, but will follow-up early
next week if they don’t contact us earlier.

*Submitted talks and program discussion*
2 talks have been submitted so far, but based upon people we have spoken to
we expect a large number of submissions before the deadline. The deadline
is Friday, May 16th!
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/mesoscon/program/cfp

Not all program committee members have access to review proposals at this
time; Dave will see that access is gained by next week.

PC members agreed to individually reach out to Mesos adopters that they now
to ask them to potentially submit talks.

Ran out of time for further discussion regarding keynote speakers, but PC
will have an email conversation in the next week and begin reaching out to
potential keynote speakers soon.

5/1/2014

*Registration Update*
We’ve asked the Linux Foundation (who is handling registration) to provide
weekly updates on attendance and paper submissions. There is a login that
we can get access to paper submissions to review. 25 registrations to date
for MesosCon.

Pricing at $100 seems solid. Have gotten feedback on both sides (too
expensive, too cheap). We believe appropriately priced. Looking into maybe
having some set aside tickets for needy or students.

*Attendance goals*
Capacity of room is 250. Dave: “We’d be happy with 200.” Dave has invited
known Mesos users to do three things:
submit a talk
attend
sponsor

*Sponsorship update*
Mesosphere and Twitter are both confirmed Platinum sponsors. One company
has approached us about potential sponsorship, but they want to focus on a
hackathon or something similar. Another company expressed interest. We’ve
been asked to formalize some of the sponsor benefits and we will also work
with sponsors to do something special, free passes, etc. Details are on the
Linux Foundation MesosCon site. Sponsor outreach/status tracked in this
spreadsheet.

Had discussion with potential media sponsor; others are welcome to contact
the MesosCon PC if there is interest.

*Video Streaming*
Brief discussion regarding whether or not we could live stream the
conference, and have "viewing parties" in other cities for remote
engineers. Will wait to pursue this, based upon sponsorship and clear
numbers from Linux Foundation regarding the potential cost.