mesos-user mailing list archives

From Dan Colish <dcol...@urbanairship.com>
Subject Re: hadoop task-trackers sticking around
Date Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:34:55 GMT
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Paul Mackles <paulm@loopr.com> wrote:

> Hi - I am using mesos 0.13 with cdh4.2.0 in pseudo-distributed mode. While
> I am able to launch and run hadoop jobs through mesos successfully, I
> noticed in the Mesos UI (and through 'ps') that the task-trackers launched
> by mesos are sticking around long after my job is complete. Is that
> expected behavior? I am thinking the answer is no since they are tying up
> resources that could be used by other frameworks. On the other hand, mesos
> seems to know enough to reuse them when running subsequent hadoop jobs.
> Maybe there are using reservations or something by default?

Are you using the mesos-hadoop project found here,
https://github.com/mesos/hadoop? If so, you are correct that idle
tasktrackers should be torn down at the end. I wonder what the cluster
state when the JobInProgressListener is called with upon your job's
completion. Specifically, I would look into tracing this section [1] of code
* *where the task trackers job queue is checked for emptiness the tracker
is checked for being active. If the tracker was never activated I think it
would also be running but not killed.

[1]
https://github.com/mesos/hadoop/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/MesosScheduler.java#L105