mesos-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deprecating the Python bindings
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2018 18:13:40 GMT

> On May 9, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Andrew Schwartzmeyer <andrew@schwartzmeyer.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> There are two parallel efforts underway that would both benefit from officially deprecating
(and then removing) the Python bindings. The first effort is the move to the CMake system:
adding support to generate the Python bindings was investigated but paused (see MESOS-8118),
and the second effort is the move to Python 3: producing Python 3 compatible bindings is under
investigation but not in progress (see MESOS-7163).

> Benjamin Bannier, Joseph Wu, and I have all at some point just wondered how the community
would fare if the Python bindings were officially deprecated and removed. So please, if this
would negatively impact you or your project, let me know in this thread.

Another approach could be to move the bindings from the `mesos` git repo to a separate repo
(either the ASF or in the `mesos` GitHub org). This could decouple it from the main Mesos
build infrastructure and create a project for a Python community to coalesce around. I think
there's value in nominating an official Python binding, but maybe we don't have to carry that
in the same git repo and build system.