mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Mann <g...@mesosphere.io>
Subject Re: Release policy and 1.6 release schedule
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:03:01 GMT
The best motivation I can think of for a shorter release cycle is this: if
the release cadence is fast enough, then developers will be less likely to
rush a feature into a release. I think this would be a real benefit, since
rushing features in hurts stability. *However*, I'm not sure if every two
months is fast enough to bring this benefit. I would imagine that a
two-month wait is still long enough that people wouldn't want to wait an
entire release cycle to land their feature. Just off the top of my head, I
might guess that a release cadence of 1 month or shorter would be often
enough that it would always seem reasonable for a developer to wait until
the next release to land a feature. What do y'all think?

Other motivating factors that have been raised are:
1) Many users upgrade on a longer timescale than every ~2 months. I think
that this doesn't need to affect our decision regarding release timing -
since we guarantee compatibility of all releases with the same major
version number, there is no reason that a user needs to upgrade minor
releases one at a time. It's fine to go from 1.N to 1.(N+3), for example.
2) Backporting will be a burden if releases are too short. I think that in
practice, backporting will not take too much longer. If there was a
conflict back in the tree somewhere, then it's likely that after resolving
that conflict once, the same diff can be used to backport the change to
previous releases as well.
3) Adhering strictly to a time-based release schedule will help users plan
their deployments, since they'll be able to rely on features being released
on-schedule. However, if we do strict time-based releases, then it will be
less certain that a particular feature will land in a particular release,
and users may have to wait a release cycle to get the feature.

Personally, I find the idea of preventing features from being rushed into a
release very compelling. From that perspective, I would love to see
releases every month. However, if we're not going to release that often,
then I think it does make sense to adjust our release schedule to
accommodate the features that community members want to land in a
particular release.

Jie, I'm curious why you suggest a *minimal* interval between releases.
Could you elaborate a bit on your motivations there?

Cheers,
Greg