mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Zhitao Li <zhitaoli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating running tasks in-place
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2017 18:50:29 GMT
Thanks for taking the lead, Yan! Replying to your points inline:

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Yan Xu <yan@jxu.me> wrote:

> Hi Mesos users/devs,
>
> I am curious about what use cases do folks in the community have about
> updating running tasks? i.e., amending the current task without going
> through the typical kill -> offer -> relaunch process.
>
> Typically you would only want to do that for the "pets
> <https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/18/servers_pets_or_cattle_cern/>"
> in
> your cluster as it adds complexity in managing the tasks' lifecycle but
> nevertheless in some cases it is too expensive to relocate the app or even
> relaunching it onto the same host later.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1280 has some context about
> this. In particular, people have mentioned the desire to:
>
>    - Dynamically reconfiguring the task without restarting it.
>    - Upgrading the task transparently (i.e., restarting without dropping
>    connections)

One possible use case we have on this is to upgrade service mesh components
(consider something similar to haproxy): because these instances handles
all connections on the machine, restarting without dropping connection is a
must for them.

>    - Replacing tasks with another without going through offer cycles

We have concrete use case for this one.

>    - Task resizing <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1279>
> (which
>    is captured in another JIRA)

   - Certain metadata, e.g., labels (but I imagine not all metadata makes

--
Cheers,

Zhitao Li