mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Park <mp...@apache.org>
Subject Dropping support for Apple Clang
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2017 00:38:29 GMT
I'd like to drop support for Apple Clang.

With the C++14 upgrade, we'll be requiring many distros to fetch a newer
compiler. In most cases it only takes a few commands to get a newer
compiler. This is also true of OS X, where clang-4.0 can be easily
installed with `brew install llvm`.

The current codebase does not compile with Apple Clang under C++14 mode. We
could choose to investigate whether this is a Mesos bug or an Apple Clang
bug, but after doing a brief investigation myself, I feel like it's not
worth the effort. There are already cases where we need to install a new
compiler on OS X due to Apple Clang releases based on clang-3.8 (MESOS-5745
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-5745>).

Not that Apple Clang was "officially" supported anyway, but we have had
minor workarounds (e.g., THREAD_LOCAL) to support it.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

MPark