mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Zameer Manji <zma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allowing both CommandInfo and ExecutorInfo on TaskInfo
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 23:25:18 GMT
I'm not convinced this is a valid use case.

Mesos is supposed to be a generic kernel for launching "tasks", whatever
they might be.

In some cases it is useful to launch an executable, in other cases it might
be useful to launch a series of executables, and in some other cases it
might be useful to spawn a thread to do some work. Whatever that might be,
it doesn't matter to Mesos and the executor and framework are free to
establish a contract in `ExecutorInfo.data`, completely independent of the
Mesos API.

I think formalizing this contract between executors and frameworks via
CommandInfo is going to introduce more problems than what they solve. If
the CommandInfo struct is useful, frameworks and executors can just stuff
that into ExecutorInfo.data, however it's not something that they need to
adhere too.

What's the underlying motivation for this?