mesos-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vinod Kone <vinodk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slack as the canonical chat channel
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:31:06 GMT
The plan is to open them up to all. Currently, slack has a limitation that
either users have to be invited individually (which doesn't scale) or they
need to belong to manually created white-list of corporate domains (which
doesn't scale either).

I'm looking into using 3rd party tools like
https://github.com/rauchg/slackin to let anyone signup.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Vaibhav Khanduja <vaibhavkhanduja@gmail.com
> wrote:

> We should atleast  open this to contributors or who has access to assign
> issue to them ...
>
>
>
> On 6/23/16, 10:50 PM, "Vinod Kone" <vinodkone@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >Opened it up for few more domain names (ibm, apple etc). If your domain is
> >listed at https://mesos.slack.com/signup please feel free to join.
> >
> >On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM, tommy xiao <xiaods@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> because the mesos repo is not hosted on github.  gitter.im is not best
> >> option on team. slack is popular than gitter.im. so i suggest based on
> >> slack.
> >>
> >> 2016-06-24 8:11 GMT+08:00 Jay JN Guo <guojiannan@cn.ibm.com>:
> >>
> >> > Great, thanks for your effort! We'd love to see it's opening up soon!
> >> >
> >> > /J
> >> >
> >> > Vinod Kone <vinodkone@apache.org> wrote on 06/24/2016 00:36:44:
> >> >
> >> > > From: Vinod Kone <vinodkone@apache.org>
> >> > > To: dev <dev@mesos.apache.org>
> >> > > Cc: Benjamin Hindman <benh@mesosphere.io>, Jake Farrell
> >> > <jfarrell@apache.org>
> >> > > Date: 06/24/2016 00:37
> >> > > Subject: Re: Slack as the canonical chat channel
> >> > >
> >> > > Looks like there is an overwhelming majority for *slack*! So, I went
> >> > ahead
> >> > > and created a slack team https://mesos.slack.com.
> >> > >
> >> > > For now, you can signup if you have a "*apache.org <
> http://apache.org
> >> >*"
> >> > > email address (https://mesos.slack.com/signup). I'll start slowly
> >> > opening
> >> > > it up for more people as we get our feet wet and iron out any
> kinks. So
> >> > > everyone should still keep using #mesos IRC channel.
> >> > >
> >> > > Thanks,
> >> > > Vinod
> >> > >
> >> > > On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 9:42 AM, José Guilherme Vanz <
> >> > > guilherme.sft@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > >
> >> > > > Yeah, sound as a good option.
> >> > > >
> >> > > > On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 at 20:04 Cosmin Lehene <clehene@adobe.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> > > >
> >> > > > > Looks like there's a majority of +1 for Slack, so this this
may
> be
> >> > > > > pointless, however :), have you considered gitter.im (
> >> > > > > https://gitter.im/home/explore/)?
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > It has similar capabilities to Slack, but it's (unlimited)
free
> for
> >> > open
> >> > > > > source projects and seamlessly works over Github organizations
> and
> >> > repos
> >> > > > > with several major open source projects using it.
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > Cheers,
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > Cosmin
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > ________________________________
> >> > > > > From: haosdent <haosdent@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > Sent: Friday, June 17, 2016 6:48:02 PM
> >> > > > > To: dev
> >> > > > > Cc: Benjamin Hindman; Jake Farrell
> >> > > > > Subject: Re: Slack as the canonical chat channel
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > +1 For Slack
> >> > > > > On Jun 18, 2016 4:04 AM, "Vinod Kone" <vinodkone@apache.org>
> >> wrote:
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > > Looks like people have jumped the gun here before I
sent the
> >> > email :)
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > Here is the context. During the community sync we discussed
> about
> >> > using
> >> > > > > > *Slack* or *HipChat* as our official chat channel instead
of
> our
> >> > > > current
> >> > > > > > #mesos IRC channel on freenode.
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > The main reasons for using Slack/Hipchat are
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > >    - In-client chat history
> >> > > > > >    - Discoverability of work group specific channels
> >> > > > > >    - Email notifications when offline
> >> > > > > >    - Modern UX and clients
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > During the sync most people preferred the move to *Slack*.
I
> >> wanted
> >> > to
> >> > > > > get
> >> > > > > > a sense from other community members as well through
this
> email.
> >> > Please
> >> > > > > let
> >> > > > > > us know what you think.
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > Note that even if we move to Slack, we will make sure
people
> can
> >> > still
> >> > > > > > connect using IRC clients and that the chat history
is
> publicly
> >> > > > available
> >> > > > > > (per ASF guidelines). During the transition period,
we might
> >> mirror
> >> > > > > > messages from Slack channel to IRC and vice-versa.
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > Thoughts?
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Vinit Mahedia
> >> > <vinitmahedia@gmail.com
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > +1 Slack.
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Jay JN Guo
> >> > <guojiannan@cn.ibm.com>
> >> > > > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > +1 Slack!
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > /J
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > Vaibhav Khanduja <vaibhavkhanduja@gmail.com>
wrote on
> >> > 06/16/2016
> >> > > > > > > 22:26:27:
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > From: Vaibhav Khanduja <vaibhavkhanduja@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > > > > To: dev@mesos.apache.org
> >> > > > > > > > > Date: 06/16/2016 22:26
> >> > > > > > > > > Subject: Re: Notification: Community
Meeting @ Thu Jun
> 16,
> >> > 2016
> >> > > > 3pm
> >> > > > > > > > > - 4pm (Apache Mesos)
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > + 1 slack
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse for
typos and
> brevity of
> >> > this
> >> > > > > > > message.
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > > On Jun 16, 2016, at 6:46 PM, haosdent
<
> >> haosdent@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > > +1 For Slack.
> >> > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > >> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 7:33
AM, Greg Mann <
> >> > > > greg@mesosphere.io>
> >> > > > > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Hello all,
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Here are the notes from our
community sync meeting
> this
> >> > > > > afternoon:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Attendees:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Mesosphere: Joris, Greg, Haris,
Artem, Joseph, Kapil,
> >> > Anand,
> >> > > > > > > Gilbert,
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Harpreet, Kevin, Vinod, Jie,
Joerg, MPark
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Uber: Zhitao Li
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> Agenda/Note:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Reviewing the list of maintainers
on
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/committers/
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      Add components for
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Documentation (docs/*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Windows (*windows*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         C++ standards (docs/c++-style-guide.md)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         HTTP API (http.*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Persistence
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Test infrastructure
(src/tests/*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Build-related
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            Autotools, CMake
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Subdivide Stout
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Subdivide Libprocess
(3rdparty/libprocess/*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Subdivide Container-related
things
> >> > > > > > > (src/slave/containerizer/*)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            Networking
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            Storage
> >> > > > > > > > > >>            -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Resource allocation/Scheduler
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         Development tools
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      Think about some tooling
to facilitate this
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/MAINTAINERS
> >> > > > > > > > > >>         -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI: Ben Mahler will send
out an email to the
> >> mailing
> >> > list
> >> > > > > > about
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      maintainers
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Reviewing and updating the
roadmap.
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MESOS/Roadmap
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >> (NOTE: it’ll be moved to
documentation roadmap.md)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Review of working groups
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > >
> >> https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/docs/working-groups.md
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   AI [Jie]: Send emails to
working group contacts
> >> > (Simulation,
> >> > > > > > > > Performance
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Isolation, Resource Allocation)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   AI [Jie] : Split Nested Container
into Pods and
> Nested
> >> > > > > > Containers
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   AI [Jie] : Remove Strategy
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   AI [Jie]: Send a proposal
to dev@ regarding work
> >> groups
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   AI [Kevin] : Add a WG for
Community (reviews,
> >> > maintainers,
> >> > > > > etc)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   [Fan / Joris] Rack Awareness
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      Need to find a shepherd!
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Joris]: Ask on the
dev@ list for the use
> case
> >> > w.r.t
> >> > > > > > > > frameworks
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Closing stale reviews ( >
3 months)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Joris/Artem/Vinod/Joseph]:
Policy for
> >> re-opening
> >> > > > > reviews
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Joris/Artem] : Email
dev@ as a heads up
> before
> >> > > > closing
> >> > > > > > the
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      reviews (referencing above
policy)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Artem] : Revive Community
Kanban board to
> >> > properly
> >> > > > > > > prioritize
> >> > > > > > > > and
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      track issues
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Community metrics (e.g.,
affiliations)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Mpark] : Blog post
around  Mesocon NA
> community
> >> > talk
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Artem] : Email dev@
and personally to
> solicit
> >> > > > > > affiliations
> >> > > > > > > > for
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      contributor metrics
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   Communication Channel
> >> > > > > > > > > >>   -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      Slack, HipChat, IRC?
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      -
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      AI [Vinod] : Email dev@
and user@ about using
> >> Slack
> >> > as
> >> > > > > > > canonical
> >> > > > > > > > > >>      communication channel
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at
6:46 PM, Greg Mann <
> >> > > > greg@mesosphere.io
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> Also note: tomorrow's community
sync will be hosted
> at
> >> > > > > Mesosphere
> >> > > > > > > HQ,
> >> > > > > > > > 88
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> Stevenson St., San Francisco,
CA. Community members
> are
> >> > > > welcome
> >> > > > > > to
> >> > > > > > > > attend
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> in person!
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> As usual, Google Hangout
and Youtube links for the
> >> > meeting
> >> > > > will
> >> > > > > > be
> >> > > > > > > > posted
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> in the Google doc just
before the meeting begins.
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> Cheers,
> >> > > > > > > > > >>> Greg
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016
at 3:01 PM, Michael Park <
> >> > > > > mpark@apache.org
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> ---------- Forwarded
message ----------
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> From: "Google Calendar"
> >> > <calendar-notification@google.com>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Date: Jun 15, 2016
6:00 PM
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Subject: Notification:
Community Meeting @ Thu Jun
> 16,
> >> > 2016
> >> > > > > 3pm
> >> > > > > > -
> >> > > > > > > > 4pm
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> (Apache Mesos)
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> To: "Michael Park"
<mcypark@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Cc:
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> more details »
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> <
> >> > > > > > > > > >> https://www.google.com/calendar/event?
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> action=VIEW&eid=dmF2a2xrZG1mNGhsb25qYXJzb2ZnOGxrMWNfMjAxNjA2MTZUMjIwMDAwWiAyaGVjdm5kYzBtbmFxbGlyMzRjcW5mdnRha0Bn
> >> >
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Community Meeting
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> *When*
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Thu Jun 16, 2016 3pm
– 4pm Pacific Time
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> *Calendar*
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Apache Mesos
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> *Who*
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> •
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Michael Park - creator
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> •
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> dev@mesos.apache.org
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> *Attachments*
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Mesos Developer Community
Sync
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> <
> >> > > > > > > > > >> https://docs.google.com/document/d/
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > 153CUCj5LOJCFAVpdDZC7COJDwKh9RDjxaTA0S7lzwDA/edit?usp=drive_web
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Invitation from Google
Calendar <
> >> > > > > > https://www.google.com/calendar/
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> You are receiving this
email at the account
> >> > > > mcypark@gmail.com
> >> > > > > > > > because
> >> > > > > > > > > >> you
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> set a notification
for this event on the calendar
> >> Apache
> >> > > > > Mesos.
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> You can change your
notifications for specific
> events
> >> in
> >> > the
> >> > > > > > event
> >> > > > > > > > > >> details
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> page in https://www.google.com/calendar/.
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> Forwarding this invitation
could allow any
> recipient
> >> to
> >> > > > modify
> >> > > > > > > your
> >> > > > > > > > RSVP
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> response. Learn More
> >> > > > > > > > > >>>> <
> >> > > > https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37135#forwarding
> >> > > > > >.
> >> > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > > --
> >> > > > > > > > > > Best Regards,
> >> > > > > > > > > > Haosdent Huang
> >> > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > --
> >> > > > > > > ~Vinit
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Deshi Xiao
> >> Twitter: xds2000
> >> E-mail: xiaods(AT)gmail.com
> >>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message