mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Qian AZ Zhang <zhang...@cn.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Do we still need to add InverseOffer support to Scheduler API?
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 12:40:56 GMT
> Yes, the eventual plan is to only support the (C++) Scheduler Library in
the Mesos repository going forward and deprecate the old (C++/Java/Python)
Scheduler/Scheduler Driver.
I assume "the (C++) Scheduler Library" you mentioned here is the low-level
C++ Scheduler Library which we will keep supporting in the Mesos repo in
future, right?

Regards,
Qian Zhang

From:	Anand Mazumdar <anand@mesosphere.io>
To:	dev@mesos.apache.org
Cc:	Vinod Kone <vinodkone@gmail.com>
Date:	09/16/2015 00:24
Subject:	Re: Do we still need to add InverseOffer support to Scheduler
            API?

Hi Qian,

Yes, the eventual plan is to only support the (C++) Scheduler Library in
the Mesos repository going forward and deprecate the old (C++/Java/Python)
Scheduler/Scheduler Driver. The deprecation cycle “would/should" start
after 1.0 is released. We would encourage the community to build up clients
for other languages and link them from Mesos webpage/docs.

Vinod sent out an email [1] to dev@ about how to manage API Client
Libraries going forward. This was also discussed at length during the last
(Sep 3) community sync [2].

[1] http://bit.ly/1LeLiy4 <http://bit.ly/1LeLiy4>
[2] http://bit.ly/1F0vq16 <http://bit.ly/1F0vq16>

-anand

> On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Qian AZ Zhang <zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Anand for your clarification! I understand the intention now :-)
>
> BTW, what is future plan for the old C++ Scheduler/Scheduler Driver and
also the Java/Python binding? Will we keep supporting them? Or they will be
eventually deprecated in future?

intend to move the old C++ Scheduler/Scheduler Driver <https://github.co <
https://github.co/>

mailto:anand@mesosphere.io>>
> To:		 dev@mesos.apache.org <mailto:dev@mesos.apache.org>
> Date:		 09/15/2015 11:00
> Subject:		 Re: Do we still need to add InverseOffer support to
Scheduler API?

> Hi Qian,
>
> We currently don’t intend to move the old C++ Scheduler/Scheduler Driver
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp <
https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp>>Scheduler
Driver <https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp <
https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp>> interface
to use the Mesos V1 API.

> If you want to use the new V1 API’s , you can use the low-level C++
Scheduler Library <
https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/scheduler/scheduler.cpp <
https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/scheduler/scheduler.cpp>>
that speaks the new Call/Event lingo. Joris already pointed you to a very
good example of an existing test using the Inverse Offer functionality :
https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283 <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283> <

mailto:zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com>> wrote:

> > If we keep the current C++ scheduler API as it is, then I think
framework can never receive inverse offer in its "resourceOffers()"
callback, the reason is, In SchedulerProcess::initialize(), we have the
following code:
> >     install<ResourceOffersMessage>(
> >         &SchedulerProcess::resourceOffers,
> >         &ResourceOffersMessage::offers,
> >         &ResourceOffersMessage::pids);
> > In the above code, only "offers" and "pids" fields of
ResourceOffersMessage are passed into SchedulerProcess::resourceOffers()
when it is invoked, but the "inverse_offers" field of ResourceOffersMessage
is NOT passed into it.

mailto:zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com <mailto:zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com>>

that the host maintain patch ( https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d <
https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d> <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d