mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Anand Mazumdar <an...@mesosphere.io>
Subject Re: Do we still need to add InverseOffer support to Scheduler API?
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 16:21:25 GMT
Hi Qian,

Yes, the eventual plan is to only support the (C++) Scheduler Library in the Mesos repository
going forward and deprecate the old (C++/Java/Python) Scheduler/Scheduler Driver. The deprecation
cycle “would/should" start after 1.0 is released. We would encourage the community to build
up clients for other languages and link them from Mesos webpage/docs.

Vinod sent out an email [1] to dev@ about how to manage API Client Libraries going forward.
This was also discussed at length during the last (Sep 3) community sync [2].

[1] http://bit.ly/1LeLiy4 <http://bit.ly/1LeLiy4>
[2] http://bit.ly/1F0vq16 <http://bit.ly/1F0vq16>

-anand

> On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Qian AZ Zhang <zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Anand for your clarification! I understand the intention now :-)
>
> BTW, what is future plan for the old C++ Scheduler/Scheduler Driver and also the Java/Python
binding? Will we keep supporting them? Or they will be eventually deprecated in future?

the old C++ Scheduler/Scheduler Driver <https://github.co <https://github.co/>

<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp>>Scheduler Driver
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp <https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/sched/sched.cpp>>
interface to use the Mesos V1 API.

> If you want to use the new V1 API’s , you can use the low-level C++ Scheduler Library
<https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/scheduler/scheduler.cpp <https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/src/scheduler/scheduler.cpp>>
that speaks the new Call/Event lingo. Joris already pointed you to a very good example of
an existing test using the Inverse Offer functionality : https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283
<https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283> <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283 <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37283>>

> Let me know if this resolves your confusion.
>
> -anand
>

> > On Sep 14, 2015, at 7:27 PM, Qian AZ Zhang <zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com <mailto:zhangqxa@cn.ibm.com>>
wrote:

> > If we keep the current C++ scheduler API as it is, then I think framework can never
receive inverse offer in its "resourceOffers()" callback, the reason is, In SchedulerProcess::initialize(),
we have the following code:
> >     install<ResourceOffersMessage>(
> >         &SchedulerProcess::resourceOffers,
> >         &ResourceOffersMessage::offers,
> >         &ResourceOffersMessage::pids);
> > In the above code, only "offers" and "pids" fields of ResourceOffersMessage are
passed into SchedulerProcess::resourceOffers() when it is invoked, but the "inverse_offers"
field of ResourceOffersMessage is NOT passed into it.

maintain patch ( https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d>
<https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/d>>

> > From:	Guangya Liu <gyliu513@gmail.com <mailto:gyliu513@gmail.com>>
> > To:	dev@mesos.apache.org <mailto:dev@mesos.apache.org>
> > Date:	09/14/2015 23:29
> > Subject:	Re: Do we still need to add InverseOffer support to Scheduler API?
> >

> > Thanks Haosdent and Joris, I see that the host maintain patch (
> > https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/diff/8#0 <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/diff/8#0>
<https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/diff/8#0 <https://reviews.apache.org/r/37180/diff/8#0>>)
is also sending

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pnIY_HckimKNvpqhKRhbc9eSItWNFT-priXh_urR-T0/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pnIY_HckimKNvpqhKRhbc9eSItWNFT-priXh_urR-T0/edit>>

> > > And I think Java or Python API libraries would be deprecated and more out
> > > to a better place to maintain in the future(Also maybe support more
> > > languages through V1 API). Continue to add them to old APIs may be not a
> > > good choice.

> > > by
> > > such

API