mesos-dev mailing list archives

From James Peach <jor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quota Design Doc v1
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:10:11 GMT

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 3:15 AM, Alex Rukletsov <alex@mesosphere.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> Jörg and I are working on adding *quota* support to Mesos. Quota can be
> described as cluster-wide dynamic reservation. I would like to share the
> design doc [1] to gather community feedback early in the design phase.

The most confusing part of this document to me was the 'quota' terminology. Quotas normally
refer to administrative limits (esp. disk quotas with hard and soft limits), not reserving
resources. Since what you are describing is an extension to the resource reservation system,
it would be clearer if it was described in those terms.

I was also concerned that access control / authorization is not planned for the initial implementation.
I think that if Mesos is to have an authorization policy, it should be applied uniformly following
the principle of least surprise.