mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Borrelli <st...@aster.is>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Renaming Mesos Slave
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 19:59:59 GMT
+1

I’d like to voice my support for removing the master/slave nomenclature. It’s our policy
at aster.is <http://aster.is/> that we don’t use that terminology in our projects
or presentations.

Currently we use ‘leader/follower’, but we are open to using whatever terms the community
comes up with. We’re also willing to contribute resources to help get this accomplished.

We also like queen/drone.

1. Mesos follower. I’m fine with worker or compute. Not a fan of minion.
2. mesos-<term>
3. We use the term ‘leader’ right now.
4. - Update internal code references & UI (have duplicate API endpoints)
    - update packages & launch scripts, systemd service files, docker containers. Luckily,
the mesos binary doesn’t need to be changed, just the start scripts and locations in /etc.
For N versions we can update launch scripts to look for things like /etc/mesos-master config,
environment files, and docker containers for backwards compatibility.
    - make changes final by Mesoscon in August, add deprecation warnings
    - N + x version of Mesos, remove old UI endpoints and usage of master/slave config files

Cheers,

Steven Borrelli

many of these thoughts have been captured in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1478
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-1478>

> I would like to open up the discussion on this topic for one week, and if we cannot arrive
at a lazy consensus, I will draft a proposal from the discussion and call for a VOTE.
> Here are the questions I would like us to answer:
> 1. What should we call the "Mesos Slave" node/host/machine?
> 2. What should we call the "mesos-slave" process (could be the same)?
> 3. Do we need to rename Mesos Master too?
>
> Another topic worth discussing is the deprecation process, but we don't necessarily need
to decide on that at the same time as deciding the new name(s).