mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Mahler <benjamin.mah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graceful Shutdown Design
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:00:52 GMT
I'm guessing most of the motivation here is actually for task killing
escalation in the command executor? The shutdown grace period was designed
for executor shutdown only, which today occurs only when the framework is
being shutdown (or recovery is cleaning up), or in the future, when
frameworks ask to shutdown a specific executor.

In the case of the command executor, the slave won't do any escalation when
a killTask arrives, since it's not trying to shutdown the executor. For
simplicity (I'm guessing), we conflated the executor shutdown grace period,
with the killTask signal escalation in the command executor.

So, I'm still trying to figure out the concrete use case here, is it that
you have command-tasks that implement a clean shutdown driven by SIGTERM?
Going forward, is that enough or would we want a more general notion of
"Finalization" (e.g. driven by HTTP, or SIGTERM, or subprocess, etc), much
like the generic health checking that was added.