mesos-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net>
Subject Re: Windows on Mesos?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2014 22:59:50 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Joe Stein <joe.stein@stealth.ly> wrote:
> Has anyone bumped into having to run Windows on Mesos?

Not yet, but I might.

> Would this be best done by getting some hypervisor to run in the container
> API (like deimos does for docker) and then run Windows in there?  i.e. get
> QEMU to run in Mesos and then KVM up Windows a la
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status#Windows_Family

Why not just use Docker? Configure mesos/deimos/docker/marathon(or
whatever) and get that working.

Once that's working, you just need qemu running in a container.
Looking on the Docker registry I see a number of them. Now I have no
idea on licensing for Windows since I've really never used it in the
past two decades, but I'm guessing some Windows person knows about
these things.  So assuming you can work out the licensing part, you
can just spin up a Windows image with qemu.  Obviously you'd want to
pop your app up there - I assume you could put the app into a second
disk image and you could access it on the "D:" drive or however that
poor design decision gets expressed these days.

Obviously you'd probably want a private registry to store these Docker
images that have Windows and your license stuff in them. Running a
docker registry in marathon/mesos actually seems to work quite well.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Galway, Ireland