maven-wagon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject wagon in the short-term
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:44:51 GMT
Hi,

Just to sum up here that last few messages from Michal and Trygve:

I think making Wagon as simple as possible is the goal. As far as what
Wagon itself provides I would say the API for the providers and a base
set of providers is optimal. Forget plexus, forget discovery, forget
management of the wagons. Let's focus on the API and making solid
providers.

I would like the plexus component descriptors to remain but that's about
all that's required for convenience. We could even add the standard
META-INF/services entries for other standard modes of discovery.

As far as state vs stateless, this discussion can wait it's not
something I believe is critical.

As far as passive/active listeners sounds a bit sketchy to me. Listeners
themselves generating events sounds like a really bad idea. If there
currently isn't one interface that satisfy all requirements then I would
say there is something wrong with the interface. I cannot recall
anything that follows this pattern where there are two forms of
listeners where one listener itself generates events.

The work needs to be done to remove plexus from the tests cases which is
not a hard task but other than that I'm not in favour of adding any more
complexity to Wagon. I think I was wrong trying to introduce plexus and
seeing how easy it is to use plexus in a layer built upon Wagon I
believe that assertion is true.

I would like to remove plexus and release what we have, we need to
release and get some feedback from real users, we have far, far too long
and I don't think we really need another refactoring.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org