maven-wagon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Brickner <sco...@brickner.net>
Subject Re: Conductor facade
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:43:27 GMT
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 16:00, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:34, Scott Brickner wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:06, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > > No problem, I figured it was only Michal, Emmanuel and myself here :-)
> >
> > Nope, I actually think Wagon may be one of the most important projects
> > out there right now. It takes *way* too long to get any non-trivial bit
> > of Java code working right now because of the poor handling of
> > dependencies and weak support for getting the requisite jars.
>
> This is true, but Wagon is the artifact/repository layer. The behaviour
> of pulling in dependencies is the job of the tool that uses Wagon. In
> our particular case it is Maven. Maven will decide on the policies of
> dependency satisfying.
>
> Just as Maven will house the policies for standard conventions like
> SNAPSHOTs, conflict resolution and the like. You definitely do not want
> these notions coupled into the repsoitory/artifact tool. It's just poor
> design and you'll get the code into a huge mess very quickly.
>
> So if it's the dependency resolution aspects you are looking at then the
> code in maven2 is what you will probably find interesting :-)

It's both. The dependency resolution in maven is nice, but I think the
first step to solving the real deployment problems for Java applications
is to make it so that there is a standard mechanism for getting access
to the stuff on which you depend.

I'm primarily working on Linux, and I've been pretty satisfied with the
JPackage stuff - except that I still have a few occasions to use Windows
boxes and there's no similar package distribution mechanism.

Any really satisfactory artifact/repository layer is going to have to
provide at least a good foundation for a package distribution framework
that can be properly cross-platform.