maven-wagon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Conductor facade
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:00:35 GMT
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:34, Scott Brickner wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:06, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > No problem, I figured it was only Michal, Emmanuel and myself here :-)
>
> Nope, I actually think Wagon may be one of the most important projects
> out there right now. It takes *way* too long to get any non-trivial bit
> of Java code working right now because of the poor handling of
> dependencies and weak support for getting the requisite jars.

This is true, but Wagon is the artifact/repository layer. The behaviour
of pulling in dependencies is the job of the tool that uses Wagon. In
our particular case it is Maven. Maven will decide on the policies of
dependency satisfying.

Just as Maven will house the policies for standard conventions like
SNAPSHOTs, conflict resolution and the like. You definitely do not want
these notions coupled into the repsoitory/artifact tool. It's just poor
design and you'll get the code into a huge mess very quickly.

So if it's the dependency resolution aspects you are looking at then the
code in maven2 is what you will probably find interesting :-)

> So I'm definitely paying attention :)

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org