maven-wagon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: http wagon
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:12:04 GMT
On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 03:42, mmaczka@interia.pl wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > What do you think about using the code that we already have for http
> > instead of relying on httpclient? Does httpclient provide anything over
> > the tiny bit of code that we have. Keep in mind that I think it will be
> > unlikely that folks will be using webdav/put type things normally. And
> > if they do we can always provide the httpclient version of an http
> > wagon.
> >

> I think that the we can easly create one more module for bacic http provider.
> Maybe even information which Wagon Provider should be used for given repository can be
a part of repository metadata and only when such information is not provided Wagon should
try to find mathcing WagonFactory using protocol.

> I haven't very deeply investigated HTTP Client features but afaik
> HTTP Client supports HTTPS with mutual exchange of certificates

That's definitely a cool feature. It's not that big, it's just that it
would add 200k to the 500k I have now for maven2. Just a big chunk but
it's not that big of a deal.

> and even with plain HTTP it supports all the sorts of authentification
> which are not that easy to handle without it.
> Those features are unlikly to be needed often, but there is one more feature of httpclient
which might be quite atractive -  it supports more types of proxy servers then JDK 1.4. There
is quite a lot of people which might need this feature.  I am not 100% sure about it - I just
saw information about it some time ago and now quick scan of their website gives no results
:)

No problem, we can easily have more than one provider for a supported
protocol.

> Michal

jvz.

Jason van Zyl