maven-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Retire Maven Repository Builder
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2019 19:13:28 GMT
Hi,

The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the
small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,
including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
itself.
To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects
and decide if it is worth maintaining.

https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-repository-builder/ describes the
main purpose in one line: Maven shared components. Okay, that's actually
quite bad.
Based on
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.maven.shared/maven-repository-builder
the library isn't used a lot. Both maven-assembly-plugin and
maven-plugin-testing-tools don't use this library anymore.
The sourcecode looks a bit like it has the same purpose as
dependency:copy-dependencies.

I therefore propose that we retire the maven-repository-builder.

I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
update the documentation and freeze the codebase.

The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
[https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]

The vote is open for 72 hours.
[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time