maven-users mailing list archives

From Nick Stolwijk <nick.stolw...@gmail.com>
Subject Company-wide pom and dependency management best practices
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2019 14:29:37 GMT
Hi all,

We have a company-wide pom for specific applications. In our case for
Spring Boot applications. In this pom some of the stuff is for the build
(plugin management, deployment management) and some for the dependencies
(scope import for dependencyManagement).

We had a buildproblem where one of the Spring Boot dependencies had the
wrong version. It turned out the version of one of the dependencies for
Spring Boot was overridden by another dependencyManagement import.

The first question is, how can I see where the different versions for a
dependency are coming from? I know of the dependency:tree, but that only
shows the resolved version and not all the version options.

The second question is, how can I make sure that the dependencies in the
Spring Boot import take preference over the other dependency imports. My
idea is to break apart the Spring Boot parent we have into a build pom and
a dependency management pom and require that every application import the
dependency import pom as first dependency under dependency management.
Would this work or am I missing something?

Is there any documentation about the best practices for inheriting build
configuration and dependency management?

With regards,

Nick Stolwijk

~~~ Try to leave this world a little better than you found it and, when
your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you
have not wasted your time but have done your best ~~~

Lord Baden-Powell