maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Auto-increment semantic version number for CD pipeline with git and docker
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:40:55 GMT
On Thu 16 Nov 2017 at 13:26, ahardy42 <adam.hardy@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> V. interesting, thanks.
>
> I'm using TeamCity so controlling an infinite loop using trigger configs
> should be easy.
>
> However I don't want to use snapshot versioning at all, so the
> maven-release-plugin is essentially not the right tool for the job.
>
> These projects are microservices so every code commit is a release
> candidate. My goal is to get maven to increment the build number on each
> build - the build number shouldn't be switched back and forth between
> -SNAPSHOT and non-snapshot.
>
> The CI server should run the tests and verify that they pass and if so,
> merge or rebase the checkin into the master.
>
> That blog post by Stephen hits it square between the eyes - although in my
> case to get rid of -SNAPSHOT non-versions, I'll probably need to write a
> plugin to run the git plugin through the required steps.

I think you’ll want to keep master with a version of at least SNAPSHOT or
1-SNAPSHOT and wholesale replace it with the real build version number on
the CI server and just have that version in the tag.

The issue with using release versions on master is that developers will get
inconsistencies in builds because release versions are assumed final and
will never be refetched.

Ignore this advice at your peril