maven-users mailing list archives

From Robert Patrick <robert.patr...@oracle.com>
Subject RE: dependency question
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 15:46:49 GMT
Typically, whenever you run a build that includes a snapshot dependency, Maven will go out
to the remote repository(ies), if any, and download the maven-metadata.xml file for that dependency
to compare it against the snapshot stored in your local Maven repository to see if there is
a newer version that needs to be downloaded.  For example, when I run one of our builds, I
see this in the build output when there is a newer snapshot version:

Downloading: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
Downloaded: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
(766 B at 1.4 KB/sec)
Downloading: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/artifact-2.2-20170406.205529-591.pom
Downloaded: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/artifact-2.2-20170406.205529-591.pom
(3 KB at 12.5 KB/sec)
Downloading: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/artifact-2.2-20170406.205529-591.jar
Downloaded: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/artifact-2.2-20170406.205529-591.jar
(43 KB at 25.3 KB/sec)

And this output when there is not:

Downloading: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
Downloaded: http://myrepomanager.example.com/artifactory/my-repo/test/artifact/2.2-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
(766 B at 1.7 KB/sec)

Whether it downloads and checks the maven-metadata.xml file every time or periodically is
(at least somewhat) controlled by the repository declaration in your POM/settings.xml for
the repository's updatePolicy.  For example, this is what one of our builds uses:

            <snapshots>
                <enabled>false</enabled>
                <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
                <checksumPolicy>fail</checksumPolicy>