maven-users mailing list archives

From Sander Verhagen <san...@sanderverhagen.net>
Subject RE: CloudRepo - A Cloud Based Artifact Repository
Date Sun, 23 Apr 2017 04:58:12 GMT
This is exciting, but also scary (for you, I'm sure).

Here's some feedback. I think this is very much a niche, particularly compared to Artifactory
who aren't limited to just Maven artifacts. (And didn't Nexus now support Docker repositories
too?) If I were shopping for a repository now (having been in that position before) I'd be
suspicious for someone offering this "from scratch" as you are. I remember the growing pains
of particularly Artifactory, and they weren't pretty. Why would I want to go through that
with a new party again? Just for the few bucks a month it's saving me?

At this point I'd feel more comfortable buying into a cloud offering of Nexus, to compete
with the existing cloud offering of Artifactory. My employer couldn't agree with the cloud-based
Artifactory either, since they didn't provide much paperwork on security and compliance. Since
a cloud-based repository will be handling companies' crown jewels, you might want to brace
yourself for that, as your website is still a little sparse on any of that (understandably).

Will any of your product be open source, because we... well... would really like that :)

Still... exciting.

Sander Verhagen
[  sander@sanderverhagen.net  ]

NOTICE: my e-mail address has changed. Please remove Verhagen@Sander.com now and start using