maven-users mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "mvn clean verify deploy" causes jar plugin to execute twice
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2016 16:42:14 GMT
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, 13:27 <org.apache.maven.user@io7m.com> wrote:

> On 2016-08-05T18:48:25 +0200
> Anders Hammar <anders@hammar.net> wrote:
> >
> > Executing
> > mvn verify deploy
> > will execute the build lifecycle twice. No need to do that. Just execute
> > mvn deploy
> > as the deploy phase comes after the verify phase.
>

> On 2016-08-05T18:09:46 +0100
> Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > TL;DR don't run `mvn clean verify deploy` run `mvn clean deploy` as
> > `deploy` is after `verify`
> >

> Thanks, both of you!
>
> After some five years of using Maven daily, I had no idea that it
> didn't eliminate redundant lifecycle calls in that manner... Always
> something new.

It's not necessarily redundant. Sometimes there's good reason to execute
things twice. :)

I recommend all maven users periodically re-read
https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

Most important information for understanding maven is on that single page
IMO. Don't think it gives an explicit example of this kind of double
execution, but it gives enough information to be able to infer that
behavior.