maven-users mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Preleminary Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT Testing
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:39:47 GMT
Hi,

On 7/3/16 1:31 AM, Christian Schulte wrote:
> Am 07/02/16 um 23:18 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 7/2/16 2:06 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>  >So we need to figure out a way to deliver the new behavior while
>> preserving
>>  >the old for a time being. Maybe a branch,
>>

>>  > but I think the best way to do it is to have both behaviors exist in the
>>  > same codebase and turn on what we considered corrected behavior
>>  > with feature toggles.
>
> Someone who never has used Maven before and who downloads the current
> release should just use the 'mvn' command and get the behaviour with all
> "features" activated and should not have to care about any "feature". If
> I upgrade to a recent Maven version I am doing that to get the latest
> "features". That's like upgrading from OS 3.1 to OS 10 and having to
> check 10000 checkboxes in the installer to activate all "features"
> introduced after OS 3.1. If not activating any feature the OS 10
> installer installs OS 3.1. Come one.

This guy should use the same Maven as anyone else around the world which
means all breaking features should be disabled by default (see my
previous email)..

We are not an operation system nor a company like Apple who can force
users to upgrade...

If you started with Maven 2 and now you upgrade to Maven 3.3.9 you will
get a large number of new features and different behaviour compared to
Maven 2 etc...but there are some parts in Maven 3.X+ which are working
wronge for a long time and which should keept the same ...to get
reliable results (from the users perspective)..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise