maven-users mailing list archives

From Justin Georgeson <JGeorge...@lgc.com>
Subject re-using server credentials for repositories
Date Tue, 19 Jul 2016 21:57:02 GMT
I'm curious why there doesn't seem to be a way to reuse server credentials across multiple
repositories (at least without a warning for those fortunate few on stack-overflow who claim
success). For reference I mean as exemplified in [1], I have to define in my settings.xml
a unique settings.servers.server for each projects.repositories.repository in my pom.xml,
even if the credentials are the same. I've found a few links such as [2] and [3] that suggest
just adding a <name> to each repository allows me to duplicate the <id>, but with
Maven 3.2.5 and 3.3.9 I get a failure

[ERROR]     'repositories.repository.id' must be unique: artifactory-lmk -> http://example.com/url1
vs http://example.com/url2 @ line 26, column 13

There's also [4] which says that nope, unique ID is required. Link [2] is the newest and Manfred
says it works, and that's the accepted answer there. Does it only work for distributionManagement.repositories
and not for build.repositories? Is there anything on the roadmap to address this in near-future
release? There's MNG-5585 [5] which would side-step the issue by presumably letting the HTTP
wagon match the correct credentials automatically by authentication realm, without the user
having to map them out explicitly. That'd be nice.

[1] - https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-multiple-repositories.html
[2] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17511469/setting-a-single-server-credentials-in-maven-for-multiple-repositories
[3] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21836539/sonatype-nexus-how-to-set-a-single-server-credentials-for-multiple-repositories
[4] - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15011250/maven-meaning-of-repository-id