maven-users mailing list archives

From Christian Schulte ...@schulte.it>
Subject Re: Preleminary Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT Testing
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 13:47:06 GMT
Am 07/06/16 um 15:08 schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> Feature toggles, as the practice has been for many years, has the user being conscious
of what they are doing. The feature may prove to be a problem and you specifically don’t
want to expose it to the whole user population. I honestly find your attitude extremely disconcerting.
What you think is right, or how you think something should work is fine but shoving things
in as you have, affecting core behavior and just expecting users to make any of the adjustments
necessary is not very wise. Please take a step back and think about what you’re doing.

> A conscious change to a POM by a user or a command line switch for a possible feature/fix
in 4.x while the user can run 3.x is a great way to figure out whether said feature/fix is
viable or not.

> No, someone new to Maven downloading 3.x should not get every new feature or behaviorally
changing bug fix. It’s clear you’ve not had to support any large population of users.
You just can’t do that. You change one thing you think is more “correct” and 500 people
spend a few hours wondering why a build is broken. No one is going to read release notes,
most are not on the mailing list. You’ll just hose them, and an attitude of “they were
just doing things wrong” really isn’t acceptable.

I already reverted the things in question more than two weeks ago.
That's the result of the preliminary snapshot testing. Nothing wrong
with that. We are asking users to test the snapshot for exactly that
reason. We are now just talking about how to deliver bugfixes to the
users. I am fine with disabling things in 3.4 and making them default in
4.0. What is not to question is that we need to deliver them. I maybe
will just add a note to
<http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html>
where Maven is not behaving the way a reader would expect it. The issues
we are talking about have been reported by users in JIRA. It's not my
personal feature list I would like to implement or anything like that.
It happens one of those issues has been reported by me years ago. There
are others I just fixed when going through JIRA.

Regards,
--
Christian