maven-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Lewis <jordan.le...@inovexcorp.com>
Subject Re: Resolving an Artifact from Remote Repository instead of Local
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 18:10:28 GMT

>Looks like it might be easier to just delete your local repo!

I know that this approach works. It’s just a bit inconvenient to have to do that.

>Perhaps you might want to revisit your ultimate goal.
>Describe the use that people will make of the index  and see if anyone
>has a different way to get what you want.

My ultimate goal is to try to resolve artifacts from a specific remote repository and ignore
the local repository. The URIs in the generated index file then won’t depend on the local
repository path of the machine where the index file was generated.

>Why is your need so different from the normal case that no one else has
>ever run into this problem?

I don’t think people are usually concerned with where artifacts are resolved from because
they aren’t building index files that anyone should be able to use. I know that others have
mentioned this problem with the index plugin, but after looking at the code a bit, it appears
like they can’t do anything about it because the Aether code doesn’t have any options
for resolving artifacts without first checking the local repository manager. I think it would
be beneficial if Aether overloaded the method so that you could pass a parameter to not check
that local repository or provide a new method which accepts a remote repository and the artifact
request, and then tries to resolve the artifact with that remote repository only.

My real hope was that I was overlooking some code that would already accomplish what I just
described which is what led me to the mailing lists. Is ther another way to resolve artifacts
other than system.resolveArtifact(..) which always checks the LocalRepositoryManager first?

Thanks,
Jordan

>On 21/07/2016 11:46 AM, Jordan Lewis wrote:
>> Is this, <https://github.com/eclipse/aether-core>, still the code base? I could
make a pull request that would show exactly the part I’m talking about with a possible solution.

>> Thanks,
>> Jordan
>>

>> On 7/20/16, 1:53 PM, "Jordan Lewis" <jordan.lewis@inovexcorp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any update on what mailing list I should be using?
>>>
>>> Jordan

me to your list because you have taken the project over, correct?

the local repo, but whenever it resolves an artifact using system.resolveArtifact(..), it
always checks the local repo first.

code that could try to resolve an artifact from a specific repo?

but my local repository is obviously not. So whenever I generate the index file, I need to
make sure that my local paths to the artifacts are never used which they are if the artifact
can be resolved both locally and remotely. I need it to only resolve from the remote repository.

Is there a specific Aether mailing list?

I’m working on building an index file which will point to the resolved artifact using bnd-indexer-maven-plugin.
The indexer has an option to forbid the use of local URIs and that works fine as long as I
don’t have the artifact in my local repository. I need the artifact to resolve to the remote
repository so that anyone can use this index file and it won’t depend on my local repository.
If the artifact is in my local repository though, it resolves to that artifact whenever the
indexer code call system.resolveArtifact(..). I can get around this by clearing my local repository
and then the artifact will resolve to the remote repository location just fine. I did some
digging and it appears like you are always checking the localRepositoryManager first and then
you check remote repositories.

local repository resolution or set a repository priority order where it would check the remote
repository before the local repository?