maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Preleminary Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT Testing
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 13:08:54 GMT
Feature toggles, as the practice has been for many years, has the user being conscious of what
they are doing. The feature may prove to be a problem and you specifically don’t want to
expose it to the whole user population. I honestly find your attitude extremely disconcerting.
What you think is right, or how you think something should work is fine but shoving things
in as you have, affecting core behavior and just expecting users to make any of the adjustments
necessary is not very wise. Please take a step back and think about what you’re doing.

A conscious change to a POM by a user or a command line switch for a possible feature/fix
in 4.x while the user can run 3.x is a great way to figure out whether said feature/fix is
viable or not.

No, someone new to Maven downloading 3.x should not get every new feature or behaviorally
changing bug fix. It’s clear you’ve not had to support any large population of users.
You just can’t do that. You change one thing you think is more “correct” and 500 people
spend a few hours wondering why a build is broken. No one is going to read release notes,
most are not on the mailing list. You’ll just hose them, and an attitude of “they were
just doing things wrong” really isn’t acceptable.

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 7:31 PM, Christian Schulte <cs@schulte.it> wrote:
>
> Am 07/02/16 um 23:18 schrieb Karl Heinz Marbaise:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 7/2/16 2:06 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> So we need to figure out a way to deliver the new behavior while
>> preserving
>>> the old for a time being. Maybe a branch,
>>

>>> but I think the best way to do it is to have both behaviors exist in the
>>> same codebase and turn on what we considered corrected behavior
>>> with feature toggles.
>
> Someone who never has used Maven before and who downloads the current
> release should just use the 'mvn' command and get the behaviour with all
> "features" activated and should not have to care about any "feature". If
> I upgrade to a recent Maven version I am doing that to get the latest
> "features". That's like upgrading from OS 3.1 to OS 10 and having to
> check 10000 checkboxes in the installer to activate all "features"
> introduced after OS 3.1. If not activating any feature the OS 10
> installer installs OS 3.1. Come one.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christian