maven-users mailing list archives

From Jordan Lewis <jordan.le...@inovexcorp.com>
Subject Re: Resolving an Artifact from Remote Repository instead of Local
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:40:03 GMT
Awesome. That should work for my case.

Thanks!
Jordan

On 7/21/16, 3:02 PM, "Ron Wheeler" <rwheeler@artifact-software.com> wrote:

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9123004/maven-is-it-possible-to-override-location-of-local-repository-via-the-use-of-co
>Even easier - run-time argument to Maven
>
>On 21/07/2016 2:49 PM, Jordan Lewis wrote:
>>> Still not sure why anyone would need an index file. What are they going
>>> to use it for?
>> We have an OSGi runtime and use OBR to deploy our bundles. OBR needs artifacts to
be indexed so it can find them to satisfy the dependencies of our bundles. That is what I’m
building the index file for. If it contained paths to my local repositories, it wouldn’t
mean anything to people on different machines.

>>> Is there some way to override  system.resolveArtifact's understanding of
>>> where to find the local repo.
>>> Then you could give it an empty directory and your problem would be
>>> solved without touching your "real" repo cache.
>> Very true. I did something like that, but it required changing the indexer code.
Is there a way to change my local repository path using a pom attribute or settings.xml change?

>> Thanks,
>> Jordan

and ignore the local repository. The URIs in the generated index file then won’t depend
on the local repository path of the machine where the index file was generated.

from because they aren’t building index files that anyone should be able to use. I know
that others have mentioned this problem with the index plugin, but after looking at the code
a bit, it appears like they can’t do anything about it because the Aether code doesn’t
have any options for resolving artifacts without first checking the local repository manager.
I think it would be beneficial if Aether overloaded the method so that you could pass a parameter
to not check that local repository or provide a new method which accepts a remote repository
and the artifact request, and then tries to resolve the artifact with that remote repository
only.

what I just described which is what led me to the mailing lists. Is ther another way to resolve
artifacts other than system.resolveArtifact(..) which always checks the LocalRepositoryManager
first?

code base? I could make a pull request that would show exactly the part I’m talking about
with a possible solution.

Neither

and they pointed me to your list because you have taken the project over, correct?

tries to ignore the local repo, but whenever it resolves an artifact using system.resolveArtifact(..),
it always checks the local repo first.

Or is there some code that could try to resolve an artifact from a specific repo?

to create a new plug-in that
the local repo and submit your

to others, but my local repository is obviously not. So whenever I generate the index file,
I need to make sure that my local paths to the artifacts are never used which they are if
the artifact can be resolved both locally and remotely. I need it to only resolve from the
remote repository.

- Nexus, Artifactory,....?

Lewis wrote:
> [...]
mailing list? Is there a specific Aether mailing list?

the Aether API. I’m working on building an index file which will point to the resolved artifact
using bnd-indexer-maven-plugin. The indexer has an option to forbid the use of local URIs
and that works fine as long as I don’t have the artifact in my local repository. I need
the artifact to resolve to the remote repository so that anyone can use this index file and
it won’t depend on my local repository. If the artifact is in my local repository though,
it resolves to that artifact whenever the indexer code call system.resolveArtifact(..). I
can get around this by clearing my local repository and then the artifact will resolve to
the remote repository location just fine. I did some digging and it appears like you are always
checking the localRepositoryManager first and then you check remote repositories.

it ignore the local repository resolution or set a repository priority order where it would
check the remote repository before the local repository?