maven-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Derricutt" <m...@talios.com>
Subject Re: Preleminary Maven 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT Testing
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2016 05:31:20 GMT
On 3 Jul 2016, at 11:39, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:

> If you started with Maven 2 and now you upgrade to Maven 3.3.9 you will get a large number
of new features and different behaviour compared to Maven 2 etc...but there are some parts
in Maven 3.X+ which are working wronge for a long time and which should keept the same ...to
get reliable results (from the users perspective)..

It's a pity we've broken that already tho - esp. with dependency resolution. One of the main
things we all use maven for, and is one thing that is constantly a mystical land of hope.

It would seem that maven these days when using "3.3.9" as a version, if someone else wants
"3.3.0" then the later is whats used, it used to be the highest version requested was used
- this changes at some point and leads to all manner of confusion.

However, remaining on topic - I'd say that for 3.x we'd leave these features off by default,
but for 4.x we turn them on.

I for one can't wait til we fix all the problems with the "compile" scope - and I don't care
if we cause a lot of grief for end users in the process.

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net