maven-users mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject How to manage dependency "includes"?
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 08:38:20 GMT
Hi,

I am currently cleaning up in the dependencies of a quite big set of big projects. For this
I am making a lot of use of dependency management. One thing I did come across quite a lot
of times is this problem:

Some libs reference undesired libs, mostly API libs (in most cases they reference artifacts
that contain parts of some API packages). To prevent them from being used, we exclude them
in the dependencyManagement section. Now the downside is that now the API packages are missing.
In order to fix this, we now have to manually add dependencies to the API modules wherever
the artifact is used. It would be cool, if there was not only an "exclusion" but also an "inclusion"
mechanism in dependencyManagement, so we could actually manage situations like this.

Is there a better way of resolving this type of problem? Would adding a feature like the "inclusions"
to Maven be a good idea? If not, what are the problems with it? If yes, what can I do to help
get it in (Would be glad to contribute something like this)?

Chris