maven-users mailing list archives

From "David M. Karr" <davidmichaelk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is checkstyle failing on one project, but not others?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:44:08 GMT

On 01/14/2016 04:37 PM, ecki@zusammenkunft.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Most likely the source directory is (incorrectly) overwritten at the compile plugin (or
it is compiled by the parent pom or some other strange mechanisms like an ant plugin). The
-X output (together with the effective pom) should tell you that as well.

> Removing the <sourceDirectory>, moving the files to src/main/java and removing
all properties or compile plugin options would be the proper cleanup action to plan for the
long run ,)

Certainly everything should be in "src/main/java".  In the meantime, I'd
like to fully understand what's happening here.

After analyzing the "-X" output, I found that if I store my source in
"src" and not set "sourceDirectory", the compiler plugin works fine (it
looks in both "src/main/java" and "src" silently), but checkstyle
apparently only looks in "src/main/java".  If I instead set
"sourceDirectory" to "src", both the compiler and checkstyle plugins
only look in "src".

This seems like a flaw in the checkstyle plugin to me.  It should be
using the same source directories that were used by the compiler plugin.