maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: How to manage dependency "includes"?
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:19:02 GMT

You can simplify the problem that you are having by making a module that
includes the correct version of the third party modules and having your
modules depend on that with a "provided" scope.
This also makes all of your jars and wars a lot smaller since only one
copy of each API is included in the whole project rather than having the
code appear in every one of your modules that needs it.

This speeds your builds by a lot and save individual developers from
having to think about the "correct" version of each library. They just
include the aggregated libraries that they need.  For example Apache
Commons stuff would be supplied by your module
com.example:myapachecommons:1.0-SNAPSHOT with scope provided.

http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?tag=maven might be a useful set
of articles.

Ron
On 04/01/2016 3:38 AM, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am currently cleaning up in the dependencies of a quite big set of big projects. For
this I am making a lot of use of dependency management. One thing I did come across quite
a lot of times is this problem:

> Some libs reference undesired libs, mostly API libs (in most cases they reference artifacts
that contain parts of some API packages). To prevent them from being used, we exclude them
in the dependencyManagement section. Now the downside is that now the API packages are missing.
In order to fix this, we now have to manually add dependencies to the API modules wherever
the artifact is used. It would be cool, if there was not only an "exclusion" but also an "inclusion"
mechanism in dependencyManagement, so we could actually manage situations like this.

> Is there a better way of resolving this type of problem? Would adding a feature like
the "inclusions" to Maven be a good idea? If not, what are the problems with it? If yes, what
can I do to help get it in (Would be glad to contribute something like this)?

--
Ron Wheeler
President