maven-users mailing list archives

From Robert Patrick <robert.patr...@oracle.com>
Subject Maven javadoc plugin's aggregate-jar goal, multi-module project, and code generation
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 04:54:00 GMT
I am beating my head against the wall on this and surely I am just being stupid so hopefully
someone will take pity on me and point me in the right direction.

I am trying to add Javadoc generation into my normal build process for my multi-module project.
 It all works fine if I run "mvn install" on the project followed by "mvn javadoc:aggregate-jar"
but I would really like to be able to generate the javadocs jar as part of the normal build
so that it:

-        Gets built by default (without having to remember to run the extra command)

-        Sets attached to the build so that the install plugin installs it

I put something like the following in the top-level POM (the module names have been changed
to protect the innocent.):

<modules>
    <module>mod1</module>
    <module>mod2</module>
    <module>mod3</module>
    <module>mod4</module>
    <module>mod5</module>
    <module>mod6</module>
</modules>
<build>
    <plugins>
        <plugin>
            <executions>
                <execution>
                    <id>generate-javadoc</id>
                    <goals>
                        <goal>aggregate-jar</goal>
                    </goals>
                </execution>
            </executions>
        </plugin>
    </plugins>
</build>

Unfortunately, this runs the aggregate-jar goal first, before building the modules.  Since
Java code in the modules reference classes generated by the module build, the build generates
tons of warnings from the Javadoc plugin about not finding the generated classes (which makes
sense since they don't exist yet) like this:

[WARNING] import com.mycompany.mod4.resources.MyResourceBundle;

[WARNING] ^

[WARNING] C:\myproject\mod4\src\main\java\com\mycompany\mod4\MyApplication.java:24: error:
package com.mycompany.mod4.resources does not exist

Is there really no way to do this with code generation?

Thanks,

Robert