maven-users mailing list archives

From David Evans <da...@evans6.me.uk>
Subject RE: Compilation Error -Incompatible Types
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:15:37 GMT
I think the original question noted two different classes along the lines of

com.someone.xxx.bo.BusinessObject  and
com.someone.xxx.BusinessObject

These are different classes.

... I cannot find the original post and I can't be sure so sorry if this is a red herring.

One of Eclipse's useful features is to allow you to pick a missing class to import (as a "quick
fix").

I have sometimes made the mistake of picking the wrong class from the list offered.

If I pick java.awt.List instead of java.util.List things go wrong downstream quickly and the
mistake is pretty easy to find.

If I pick a super or subclass of the one I should have chosen, the cause might not appear
so quickly.  The Primavera Integration API, for example, provides ample opportunity to make
this kind of error - where a "family" of classes can live in different jars.

Of the classes listed in the original post, which one should you be using? I would go back
to my source and check whether the import is correct.  As others have alluded to, the fact
that it "works" in Eclipse doesn’t necessarily mean it's "correct".

Regards

D.E.