maven-users mailing list archives

From Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarba...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Upgrading to 3.3.3
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 16:36:06 GMT
Hi David,

On 9/14/15 5:57 PM, David Hoffer wrote:
> The reason for the Ant script is historical.  It's a very large project
> that back in the day was 100% Ant.  Over time portions were migrated to
> Maven, the only way to integrate with the larger Ant script is with
> Maven-Ant-Task.  Today all the developer builds are pure maven but most
> of the CI builds have to do more than that...build installers, build ISO
> images, etc.  Unfortunately those other tasks are still Ant.

I would say it's time to migrate...and leave Ant for Maven related
things....Can you tell me what kind of installers ? ISO image ? As far
as i remember there is a maven plugin which creates iso images (Stephen
Connolly has written something like that if my memory does not mistaken
me)...

> We don't have any '.mvn' folders.  Shouldn't multiModuleProjectDirectory
> just default to the same folder that has the top level pom?

Yes in this case it is exactly that way...you should add property set in
your ant task to define the property...that should fix the problem...but
i'm not sure if this will fix it completely...why don't you call
"mvn.cmd" or "mvn" from the ant task...

So wait a moment...you are using Maven Ant Tasks to call maven? Sounds
strange ...why not directly calling Maven...

 >Not clear
> why pure maven build works w/o setting multiModuleProjectDirectory but
> not when using Maven-Ant-Task.

The difference is that pure Maven the property is set by the calling
scripts ( mvn / mvn.cmd)...which will identify the root folder of a
multi module build...and the Maven Ant Task does not know anything about
that property...

> We don't call "mvn.bat" or "mvn.cmd" directly as that must be handled by
> Maven-Ant-Task.

Yes that's your issue, cause Maven Ant Task hasn't been updated/releases
for a long time...and especially for Maven 3.3.X not...if you like to
provide a patch ;-) ......?

 > I wondered if the change from bat to cmd was the cause
> of the problem, still not sure.

Not the change from .bat to .cmd...The change from bat to cmd was only
to leave Win95 support...

The point is the usage for the root folder to find ".mvn" folder...which
is needed cause the configuration (maven.config) is located there and
jvm configuration (jvm.config) and extensions (extensions.xml) are being
loaded from there...

 >  I did see that Maven-Ant-Task has not
> been updated in quite some time, it's unfortunate if it needs to be
> updated for Maven 3.3.3 and not just work the same as prior versions.

The problem is that sometimes things needed to be changed...yes it is
unfortunate...

To be honest there had been several discussions to resign the
Maven-Ant-Tasks and the maven-antrun-plugin....

Are you aware of the need of Java 7 for Maven 3.3.X ?

> Are you saying that 3.3.3 isn't going to work with Maven-Ant-Task?

At the moment no one is working ont Maven Ant Task...which means in
other words at the moment Yes.

 >  If
> so we will have to stay with 3.2.5 until that's updated or we can
> replace our remaining Ant builds...but that isn't likely to happen soon.

The questions is what exactly prevents you from updating..which tasks do
you use ? I assume you use it within CI (Jenkins presumably?)...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise