maven-users mailing list archives

From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Can Maven be used in an nmake environment with VPATH?
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 17:14:58 GMT
Don’t let me discourage you on that choice if you choose it - however it sounds like this
might be a stopgap in a transition to a more modern solution?

From my POV, which is a defensive approach towards configuration management - if this is just
a transitionary step to removing nmake, I would not bother investing that time, unless:
1) you are going to make a conscious decision on embracing and maintaining your modified fork
for a long time because this is going to be a critical part of your solution.
	or
2) you were going to contribute that enhancement back to the plugin projects and get it adopted
 - which I don’t know what the process is for that with the maven project (I’ve done it
with other apache projects - and it’s not exactly an easy process)

Otherwise it would just add one more piece of forked code to your bucket list maintain.  We
all know none of us has time, or desire usually, to manage yet another forked project. :)

I’m sure others have their own opinion on this, but as a "maven user” and not a "maven
developer” - I personally don’t like enhancing other tools unless there’s an easy way
for me to contribute that fix back and get it into the main build.

Just my 2 cents advice.

- JK

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Steve Cohen <stevecoh1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> That sounds like it might be a possibility.  But after looking at it, my initial take
(which is quite possibly wrong!!) is that it might be easier to extend the compiler plugin,
and the jar plugin, to use the vpath.  Basically, you're just writing a new SourceInclusionScanner.
This seems like it would have the benefit of staying within known Maven channels.

> On 04/01/2015 10:23 AM, Jim Klo wrote:
>> Is there a reason you cannot just use the exec plugin?  We use that to manage all
sorts of esoteric make-like systems the have similar problems as you list.