maven-users mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Computing the maven dependency graph at runtime for unit tests?
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 06:41:32 GMT

http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=121 is how we deal with this.
At he beginning of each release cycle we review the versions of the
third party libraries that we use and update the dependencies in our
aggregation projects.

Our application modules depend on the current version of the aggregation
projects so developers can not change the version of a third-party
library without changing an aggregation project which they are not
allowed to do without the project manager's approval.
If a new library has to be added to support a new feature, this requires
a review by the project team.

This makes everyone's life a lot simpler.
Our application projects only have a few dependencies even if we use
dozens of Apache product as well as a few from other providers.

This also makes testing and QA a lot easier since if something stops
working, you can be sure that it is not a third-party library getting
changed by another developer.

We have not had to automate the enforcement of this policy.
However, we do have an SCM with history and I would know who to beat on
if someone did an unauthorized upgrade.

Ron

On 07/04/2015 2:26 AM, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On 4/7/15 5:18 AM, Kevin Burton wrote:
>> I have a few modules that I want to lock down so that I can easily keep
>> track of dependencies over time.
>>
>> This way if a developer adds a new dependency, the test will immediately
>> break and someone will have to approve the change.
>
> Can you explain a little bit more what you like to achieve, cause i'm
> a little bit puzzled that you have unit tests which checks
> dependencies...?
>

>> Is this possible? Could I embed this in a unit test or does it have
>> to be a
>> plugin?  ideally something easy…
>>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise