maven-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <stevec...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Can Maven be used in an nmake environment with VPATH?
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2015 21:50:49 GMT
JK-

After half a day messing around, I am now convinced that you are right.
  Writing a new plugin is harder than it looked at first, even though I
was able to grok what the plugin was doing fairly well. But there's a
lot of stuff going on under the covers that isn't well documented.

for just one example ${project.compileSourceRoots}

Plus - even if that was all okay, how would you turn
maven-compiler-plugin off?  I notice it appears in my effective POM in
Eclipse without even specifying to use it in the POM.

So a hack on a lesser scale it must be!  Preprocessing it into a form
maven is comfortable with would work better.  In fact, the current nmake
system uses its own form of preprocessing.

Steve

On 04/01/2015 12:14 PM, Jim Klo wrote:
> Don’t let me discourage you on that choice if you choose it - however it sounds like
this might be a stopgap in a transition to a more modern solution?

>  From my POV, which is a defensive approach towards configuration management - if this
is just a transitionary step to removing nmake, I would not bother investing that time, unless:
> 1) you are going to make a conscious decision on embracing and maintaining your modified
fork for a long time because this is going to be a critical part of your solution.
> 	or
> 2) you were going to contribute that enhancement back to the plugin projects and get
it adopted  - which I don’t know what the process is for that with the maven project (I’ve
done it with other apache projects - and it’s not exactly an easy process)

> Otherwise it would just add one more piece of forked code to your bucket list maintain.
 We all know none of us has time, or desire usually, to manage yet another forked project.
:)

> I’m sure others have their own opinion on this, but as a "maven user” and not a "maven
developer” - I personally don’t like enhancing other tools unless there’s an easy way
for me to contribute that fix back and get it into the main build.

> Just my 2 cents advice.
>
> - JK
>

>> On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Steve Cohen <stevecoh1@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> That sounds like it might be a possibility.  But after looking at it, my initial
take (which is quite possibly wrong!!) is that it might be easier to extend the compiler plugin,
and the jar plugin, to use the vpath.  Basically, you're just writing a new SourceInclusionScanner.
This seems like it would have the benefit of staying within known Maven channels.

>> On 04/01/2015 10:23 AM, Jim Klo wrote:
>>> Is there a reason you cannot just use the exec plugin?  We use that to manage
all sorts of esoteric make-like systems the have similar problems as you list.