maven-users mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>
Subject Re: Dependency conflict resolution
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 20:19:20 GMT
Provide a sample project with what you expect as the result for a given project.

The dependency plugin does its own weird resolution and M2Eclipse also has its own resolver
(which is closer to what Maven actually does vs the dependency plugin) and I don't really
want to think about your description of a project. Just give us a sample project.

On Feb 13, 2015, at 3:05 PM, Endo Alejandro <Alejandro.Endo@grassvalley.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I thought I knew how maven did dependency conflict resolution: always go with the version
that's closest to the base pom

> However, it seems that is not the case. Here is my scenario
>
> I have a pom of packaging=pom, call it A, which is the base where I execute maven.
>
> So this is my simplified graph where -> denotes a maven normal dependency. All poms
of packaging pom will be represented with upper case and poms of packaging jar with lowercase

> A -> b:1.0-SNAPSHOT
> A -> C -> d -> b:1.0-RC2
>
> When I look at the dependency hierarchy in eclipse, or at the dependency:tree or dependency:copy-dependencies,
maven is always choosing b:1.0-RC-2, which means that my understanding of shortest path is
not the full story since in the graph b:1.0-SNAPSHOT is a direct dependency. Could someone
clear this for me? Is it related to RC vs snapshot?

> Thank you,
>
> Alejandro
>
> DISCLAIMER:
> Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this
> message. If you are not the addressee of this message, you may not
> copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In such event, you
> should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply
> e-mail. It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not
> relate to the official business of the company are neither given
> nor endorsed by the company.
> Thank You.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder, Takari and Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare