maven-users mailing list archives

From Rodrigo Cano <ioniv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scala-debate] Emotional Support Group for Typesafe Maven Users
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 19:32:47 GMT
I just want to say that maven is not at all flowers, their phase model is
too primitive, to the point where something such as wsimport (pretty basic
stuff for good ol' java) did not work properly: I had a configuration for
the java version wanted in the pom.xml, but because of the way phases work
and the very restricted compile order, wsimport would always pick my
OS-globally configured wsimport instead of the one configured in the
pom.xml, leading to incorrect defintions of the ws and a VERY ugly hack
where I had to basically compile the thing twice to get it right. Also, my
os installed java was java7, the pom.xml stated that I wanted java6, guess
what version would the .class generated by wsimport be..

My point is, build tools are no easy task, and I know no system that does
it right. While my experience with sbt has certainly not been yours (and
I've done quite a bit with it, same with maven, where I had written several
plugins for our own dev environment), I do have to say that I find it an
improvement over maven.

I still love maven for what it accomplished though.

Cheers.