maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First copy one file, befo re anything
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2014 08:32:51 GMT
On Friday, December 5, 2014, Yaron Goldstein <yarongoldstein10@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> You can copy it to any directory of choice.
> One thing to remember is to run it in the validate phase:

Doing so well up to this point

> mvn validate install ....

And then shows lack of understanding of maven's lifecycle.

`validate` is the second phase in the standard lifecycle and `install` is
the second last phase in the standard lifecycle.

Typing `mvn validate install` will ask maven to run all the phases of the
standard lifecycle up to and including the `validate` phase *and then* run
all the phases of the standard lifecycle up to and including the `install`
phase.

If you are paying attention you will notice that the above command would
execute the plugins bound to the `validate` phase twice

There is also some subtlety around how that will behave in a multi-module
reactor... The first validate will be applied to *all* modules *and then*
the second validate will be applied to all modules again... Essentially
processing the reactor twice

Finally, if you really understand maven you probably should be using the
`verify` phase in examples rather than continuing the habit of polluting
the local repo cache with the `install` phase (though some IDEs and
sub-module workflows need it... A build is better if it will work from a
clean repo with just `mvn verify`)

--
Sent from my phone