maven-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Duplicate plugin declaration warning
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:29:18 GMT
On Monday, 29 December 2014, Andreas M <andreas.ch.magnusson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One such use has already been handled by the tycho-pack200a:normalize and
> tycho-pack200b:pack goals.
> They have to be used before and after jar:sign for pack200 to work, and
> since the warning exists we have two plugins where you naively would expect
> one.
> But that is also the only use-case I've ever seen...

And again that is indicative of an incorrect level of abstraction in the
plugin.

The reality is that the tycho-pack200 plugin should probably have a
normalize-sign-pack goal, or better yet there should be a pack200-jar
packaging type that creates the packed jar and supports signing of them, ie
replicating the same goals as the jar plugin but doing the extra work
required to ensure this is performed correctly

The mistake, if you like, is trying to reuse the jar plugin's code at the
pom level and not integrate at a lower level.

There are benefits to integrating at a lower level, i.e. It should be
possible to achieve faster performance for users at the same time by
avoiding intermediary files and writing the packed jar direct from source
binary files, so users get a benefit too... And the jar signing code being
refactored into a shared component to allow for reuse would allow for
things like (self-exec-)war:sign to allow signing self-executable war files
such as jenkins.war without hacking to the same level

/Andreas